Iran Special Collection
All CNS nonproliferation content related to Iran, including its suspected nuclear program.
CNS Feature Publications
Posted: May 16, 2013
'Reset' on Iran Now
Posted: April 5, 2013
Helping Iran Safeguard Its Nuclear Stockpile
Posted: April 3, 2013
Iran's Legal Challenge to Sanctions: Another Hurdle for Talks?
Posted: March 22, 2013
Judgment at Luxembourg: Will Iran Forgo a Negotiated Outcome?
Posted: March 11, 2013
World Powers Must Cut a Deal with Iran before It's Too Late
Posted: February 28, 2013
Don't Misunderstand Khamenei's Nuclear Fatwa
Posted: February 22, 2013
How Close is Iran to Nuclear Weapons?
Posted: February 21, 2013
Iran Centrifuge Magnet Story Technically Questionable
Posted: February 21, 2013
Make Tehran a Serious Offer
Posted: February 6, 2013
A Graphic Distraction
- Unanswered questions about an unsourced scientific graph purportedly evincing an Iranian nuclear weapons program warrants caution by the arms control community, the media, and the IAEA.
Posted: December 11, 2012
Flawed graph weakens case against Iran nuclear program
Updated: Dec 3, 2012
Supposed Iranian nuke graph off; UN still worried
Posted: November 9, 2012
Shadow Wars: Covert Operations Against Iran's Nuclear Program
Posted: November 8, 2012
Turkish-Iranian Relations: From "Friends with Benefits" to "It's Complicated"
Posted: September 20, 2012
An Israeli strike won't delay Iran's nuclear weapons program. It will start it.
Posted: September 5, 2012
Israeli Talk of Attacking Iran Damages Relationship with US
Posted: March 19, 2012
Netanyahu's contempt for the Holocaust
Posted: March 6, 2012
Walking Back Iran Sanctions With Re-Engagement
Posted: February 16, 2012
Israel Fears Losing Nuclear Monopoly, Talks of War with Iran
Posted: February 13, 2012
CNS Experts Comment on Escalating Tensions with Tehran
Posted: February 10, 2012
No Hotline to Tehran
Posted: February 6, 2012
The futility of predicting Iran's future
Posted: January 17, 2012
What if the Iranians start killing scientists?
Posted: January 12, 2012
Understanding Turkey's Position on the Iranian Nuclear Program
- Turkey doesn't want an Iranian nuclear weapon—but it also doesn't want to hamper its own access to nuclear energy technology.
Posted: December 23, 2011
Israeli Domestic Debate on War with Iran
Posted: December 2, 2011
Israel's Iran dilemma
Posted: November 15, 2011
World Anxious as Iran Inches Toward Nuclear Bomb
- The global community plots counter measures as the IAEA confirms Iran's nuclear weapon plans.
Updated: September 14, 2011
The Long Journey Toward A WMD-Free Middle East
Posted: September 2, 2011
How Saudi Arabia Can Contain Iran — and Other Benefits from Syria's Turmoil
Posted: June 20, 2011
Dagan did Israel a favor by warning against Iran strike
- Avner Cohen, for Haaretz.com.
Posted: May 17, 2011
Can Turkey Still Be a 'Model Partner' In Resolving the Iran Nuclear Impasse?
- Philipp C. Bleek, for Today's Zaman.
Posted: October 7, 2010
Beyond Missile Defense: Alternative Means to Address Iran's Ballistic Missile Threat [Summary Only]
- Miles A. Pomper and Cole J. Harvey, for Arms Control Association.
Posted: April 16, 2010
Russia's Lukewarm Support for International Sanctions against Iran: History and Motivations
- Cole Harvey and Richard Sabatini, an issue brief for the Nuclear Threat Initiative.
Posted: December 3, 2009
CNS Experts Comment on Recent Iran Developments [PDF]
- During the last few days, the already tense standoff between Iran, the United States and other members of the international community has become even more charged.
Posted: July 17, 2009
Iran: June 2009 Elections and Nuclear Policy Implications
- A review of the policies of both candidates, and assessment of the tentative results of the election and possible impact on nuclear negotiations with Iran.
Posted: April 30, 2009
Israeli Perceptions Regarding Obama's Iran Policy Change
- Many Israelis fear the more comprehensive Washington's talks with Tehran, the greater the chance that Jerusalem will be brought to the table to agree to painful concessions.
Posted: March 19, 2009
Obama Hones Iran Strategy
- The U.S. puts out "bigger sticks and carrots" to halt nuclear program.
Posted: November 18, 2008
Video: Evidence from Imagery: The Iran and Syrian Nuclear Programs
- Nov 6 [1 hr, Youtube]
- Dr. Frank Pabian
In this age of "Global Transparency", commercial satellite imagery makes it possible for anyone to view clandestine nuclear facilities.
Posted: October 14, 2008
Iran and the IAEA: The Road to "Gridlock" and an Uncertain Path Forward
- A way out of the present stalemate over the Iran nuclear issue is only possible through a
pragmatic approach from Washington and more flexibility from Tehran.
A CNS Feature Story by Liviu Horovitz and David Peranteau.
Posted: December 6, 2007
Iranian Nuclear Program Remains Major Threat Despite Partial Freeze
- Despite a December 3, 2007 U.S. National Intelligence Estimate assessment that
Iran's "nuclear weapons program" was halted in 2003, serious concerns remain.
A CNS Research Story by Leonard S. Spector.
Posted: October 8, 2007
Ahmadinejad Critics Take Leadership Position; Iran Enters Deal With International Atomic Energy Agency
- An article by Khalid Hilal and Leah Kuchinsky for WMD Insights.
Posted: April 4, 2007
Iran's Announcement of a Space Rocket Test: Fact or Fiction?
- An article by Khalid Hilal and Jack Boureston for WMD Insights.
Posted: June 2, 2006
Iran's Nuclear Impasse: Give Negotiations A Chance
- As direct negotiations between the United States and Iran may finally
materialize, it is critical to remember that armed conflict is both unnecessary and would be mutually destructive.
A CNS Research Story by Sammy Salama and Elizabeth Salch.
Posted: May 31, 2006
Mohamed ElBaradei Calls for a New Global Security Landscape
- Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei spoke in Monterey on May 30, 2006. During his conversation with Dr. William Potter, Dr. ElBaradei highlighted many key issues and challenges facing the nuclear nonproliferation regime today.
Posted: May 4, 2006
Iran Tests Missiles for Domestic and Foreign Audiences; Origins of One Advanced System Remain Murky
- An analysis by Sammy Salama, Nikolai Sokov, and Gina Cabrera-Farraj for the WMD Insights.
Posted: February 20, 2006
Defusing The Iranian Nuclear Crisis: A Carrot and Stick Approach
- Jean duPreez examines the potential consequences of the IAEA Board decision to report the issue to the U.N. Security Council, with a particular focus on Iran's reactions, and argues that a diplomatic solution along the lines of the Six-Party talks is needed or the crisis is likely to spiral out of control.
Posted: February 17, 2006
Prospects of Russian Mediation of the Iranian Nuclear Crisis
- Nikolai Sokov analyzes the Russian position vis-a-vis Iran, and predicts the policies Moscow is likely to adopt under various scenarios.
Posted: February 13, 2006
International Reaction to the Iranian Nuclear Crisis
- CNS has compiled a selection of commentaries on the detailing the viewpoints of various international
stakeholders in the current impasse over Iran's nuclear program.
Posted: January 20, 2006
Chronology of Key Events Related to the Implementation of IAEA Safeguards in Iran
- The IAEA Board of Governors looks set to discuss the Iran nuclear issue at a meeting scheduled for February 2. CNS has prepared a detailed chronology of key events in the IAEA examination of the scope and nature of Iran's nuclear program from June 2003 to the present.
A CNS Research Story by the International Organizations and Nonproliferation Program.
Posted: November 2005
The New IAEA Resolution: Milestone in Iran-IAEA Saga
- The Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) adopted a resolution on 24 September 2005 finding Iran in non-compliance with its safeguards agreements. The resolution marks the first time the IAEA has found Iran in non-compliance and sets the stage for the next step of Irans referral to the Security Council.
An issue brief by Anna Langenbach, Lars Olberg, and Jean du Preez for the Nuclear Threat Initiative.
Posted: August 26, 2005
Iran's Game of Nuclear Poker: Knowing When to Fold
- In what many consider to be Iran's final chance, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Board of Governors, during an emergency meeting on August 11, called Iran's bluff by adopting yet another resolution on the implementation of the country's Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Safeguards Agreement. While the Board's resolution noted that the Agency has accounted for all declared nuclear materials in Iran, it also stated that it has not yet been able to verify that there are no undeclared nuclear materials in the country.
A CNS Research Story by Jean de Preez and Melissa Kessler
Posted: August 16, 2005
How to Be Weapon-Ready NPT Members
- An op-ed by Leonard S. Spector for the YaleGlobal.
Posted: September 27, 2004
IAEA Board Gives Iran Yet Another Chance
- Despite repeated, strenuous attempts, the United States could not convince
the IAEA Board of Governors to establish an October 31 deadline to report Iran
to the Security Council for violating its nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) obligations.
Research Story of the Week by Jean du Preez and María Lorenzo Sobrado.
Posted: August 12, 2004
A Preemptive Attack on Iran's Nuclear Facilities: Possible Consequences
- There are reports that the Bush administration has seriously considered an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities but opted
to put it on the back burner for the time being.
A CNS Research Story by Sammy Salama and Karen Ruster.
Posted: July 6, 2004
IAEA Board Deplores Iran's Failure to Come into Full Compliance: Is Patience with Iran Running Out?
- On Friday, June 18, 2004, the Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) unanimously adopted a resolution reprimanding Iran for failing to act in full compliance with its international safeguards obligations.
An issue brief by Peter Crail and Jean du Preez for the Nuclear Threat Initiative.
Updated: December 1, 2003
IAEA's Resolution on Iran: A Troubling Past With a Hopeful Future?
- The latest report by International Atomic Energy Agency
(IAEA) Director-General Mohamed ElBaradei, on the implementation of the NPT safeguards agreement in the Islamic Republic of Iran,
provides both troubling and reassuring details on Iran's nuclear program.
Now includes the IAEA Resolution [PDF].
Posted: June 26, 2003
Russia's Nuclear and Missile Technology Assistance to Iran
- Russian assistance for the Iranian nuclear program has long been an irritant in the U.S.-Russian relations. The revelations concerning Iran's hitherto unknown uranium enrichment efforts, which propelled Iran's nuclear ambitions to the center of the world's attention, added a new dimension to the controversy.
By Michael Jasinski.
Posted: June 18, 2003
Iran Rebuked for Failing to Comply with IAEA Safeguards
- A Research Story of the Week by Jean du Preez and Lawrence Scheinman.
Posted: May 30, 2003
What's Behind U.S. Nonproliferation Sanctions Against Norinco?
- The Bush administration's decision to impose a ban on imports from the China North Industries Group (Norinco)
and its subsidiaries for transfers of dual-use equipment to a company involved in Iran's ballistic missile program
marks a significant shift in the Bush administration's nonproliferation policy.
A Research Story of the Week by Phillip Saunders and Stephanie Lieggi.
Posted: May 20, 2003
Iran's Secret Quest for the Bomb
- "At the upcoming June meeting of the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Washington wants the agency to declare Iran in material breach of its non-proliferation obligations."
An op-ed by Leonard S. Spector for the YaleGlobal online.
Week of March 27, 2003
Russian Nuclear Exports to Iran: U.S. Policy Change Needed
- On March 29, the State Department is scheduled to report to Congress on nuclear proliferation prevention in Iran.
Part of the report is likely to focus on Russia's role in Iran's nuclear development.
A Research Story of the Week by Cristina Chuen.
Updated: September 2001
Iran: Weapons of Mass Destruction Capabilities and Programs
- This page is part of "Weapons of Mass Destruction in the Middle East," which includes WMD profiles of 11 countries, regional overviews, and reference tables of ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, and combat aircraft deployed in this volatile region.
Posted: Summer 2001
Missile Messages: Iran Strikes MKO Bases in Iraq [PDF]
- A report for the Nonproliferation Review, CNS, Vol. 8.2 by Amin Tarzi and Darby Parliament.
Posted: 1 March 2001
Chemical Weapons and the Iran-Iraq War: A Case Study in Noncompliance [PDF]
- An article for the Nonproliferation Review, CNS, Vol. 8.1 by Javed Ali.
Iranian Use of Chemical Weapons: A Critical Analysis of Past Allegations
- Washington, DC Office 2001 Briefing Series, March 7, 2001.
Posted: 15 August 2000
Iran's Missile Test Sends Mixed Messages
- "On Saturday July 15th, the Islamic Republic of Iran carried out the anticipated second
test firing of the 1,350 km-range ballistic missile named Shehab-3."
An Op-Ed by Amin Tarzi.
Posted: Winter 1999
Russian Nuclear and Missile Exports to Iran [PDF]
- A report for the Nonproliferation Review, CNS, Vol. 6.2 by Fred Wehling.
Posted: Fall 1998
Iran's Threat Perceptions and Arms Control Policies [PDF]
- An article for the Nonproliferation Review, CNS, Vol. 6.1 by Peter Jones.
Posted: July 1998
Iran's Nuclear-Related Facilities
- A report describing developments at Iran's nuclear facilities by Andrew Koch and Jeanette Wolf.
Posted: 1 March 1998
Lessons of Iranian Missile Programs for U.S. Nonproliferation Policy [PDF]
- An article for the Nonproliferation Review, CNS, Vol. 5.3 by Aaron Karp.