Posted: April 5, 2013
Implementation of the 2010 NPT Action Plan: Disarmament, 2013 Monitoring Report
Posted: April 3, 2013
Ugly Truths: Saddam Hussein and Other Insiders on Iraq's Covert Bioweapons Program
- Occasional Paper #17
Updated: April 3, 2013 • Posted: March 1, 2013
The Bigger Picture: Rethinking Spent Fuel Management in South Korea
- Occasional Paper #16
Posted: July 31, 2012
2012 Conference on a WMD-Free Zone in the Middle East: Prospects, Challenges, and Opportunities
This CNS special roundtable report discusses the conference in Helsinki, Finland, and takes a long-term view of the future of arms control in the region in light of the Arab uprisings.
Posted: July 5, 2012
U.S.-Russian Partnership for Advancing a Nuclear Security Agenda
Posted: May 17, 2012
Prospects for Nuclear Security Partnership in Southeast Asia
Updated: April 19, 2012
CNS NPT Monitoring Report - Disarmament
As NPT state parties prepare to meet in Vienna, CNS presents a comprehensive review of implementation of the 2010 NPT Action Plan's Nuclear Disarmament section.
Updated: August 17, 2010
Delegitimizing Nuclear Weapons: Examining the Validity of Nuclear Deterrence
In association with the Swiss Confederation. May 2010.
Posted: May 10, 2010
Reducing and Regulating Tactical (Nonstrategic) Nuclear Weapons in Europe: Moving Forward?
This update to a December 2009 report examines the attitudes toward these weapons in the U.S., Western and Eastern Europe, and Russia. It also considers the possible impact of the 2010 Nuclear Nonproliferation Review Conference and NATO Strategic Concept on the issue.
Posted: January 6, 2010
Proliferation Complexity: The Intersection of Policy, Operations, Media, Intelligence, and Science
Sponsored by the
Defense Threat Reduction Agency's Advanced Systems and Concepts Office (DTRA-ASCO) in cooperation with the
Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) and the
James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS)
Posted: December 15, 2009
Reducing and Regulating Tactical (Nonstrategic) Nuclear Weapons in Europe
The advent of the Obama administration and the president's commitment to a world free of nuclear weapons have encouraged some U.S. allies in Europe to suggest that it is time to remove U.S. nonstrategic nuclear weapons based on their territory. New military doctrines being drafted in Moscow and Washington may alter the roles that these weapons play in each country's nuclear strategy. The revitalized U.S.-Russian dialogue on reducing strategic arsenals has also led to calls for tackling the two countries' nonstrategic nuclear weapons arsenals.
Posted: November 13, 2009
Four Emerging Issues in Arms Control, Disarmament, and Nonproliferation: Opportunities for German Leadership
- A major study by CNS addresses four emerging issues in arms control, disarmament, and nonproliferation where Germany can contribute significantly.
Posted: March 27, 2009
Engaging China and Russia on Nuclear Disarmament
- Cristina Hansell and William C. Potter, Editors
- Occasional Paper #15
Analyzing the prevailing perspectives, bureaucratic players, & politics and providing recommendations on how to engage Beijing and Moscow on "the road to zero."
Posted: January 7, 2009
Nuclear Challenges and Policy Options for the Next U.S. Administration [PDF]
- Papers by participants of the Monterey Nonproliferation Strategy Group meeting on August 20-21, 2008.
Posted: November 5, 2008 (Updated: January 21, 2011)
Trafficking Networks for Chemical Weapons Precursors: Lessons from the Iran-Iraq War of the 1980s
- New information on the illicit sale of chemical-weapons materials to Iran and Iraq during the 1980s sheds light on how international trafficking networks operate and suggests some practical steps for countering them.
Updated: January 3, 2008
The Soviet Anti-Plague System
Sonia Ben Ouagrham-Gormley,
Alexander Melikishvili, and
Raymond A. Zilinskas
Posted: August, 2007
Beijing on Biohazards: Chinese Experts on Bioweapons Nonproliferation Issues [PDF]
- by Amy E. Smithson
Posted: August 2003
New Challenges in Missile Proliferation, Missile Defense, and Space Security
- Continuing a collaboration between the Center for Nonproliferation Studies and the Mountbatten Centre for International Studies at the University of Southampton.
Posted: January 2003
Commercial Radioactive Sources: Surveying the Security Risks
- Focuses on the security of commercial radioactive sources, the sources that represent a significant
category of radioactive materials that are widely used throughout the world for beneficial applications in medicine and industry,
and—until recently—have not been considered high security risks.
Posted: July 2002
Future Security in Space: Commercial, Military, and Arms Control Trade-Offs
- Identifying areas of common ground in the field of future space activity.
A collaboration between the Center for Nonproliferation Studies and the Mountbatten Centre for International Studies at the University of Southampton.
Posted: June 2002
The 1971 Smallpox Epidemic in Aralsk, Kazakhstan, and the Soviet Biological Warfare Program
- The first authoritative English translation of an official Soviet report describing a previously unknown outbreak of smallpox in 1971 in the city of Aralsk, Kazakhstan, then located on the northern shore of the Aral Sea.
Posted: June 2002
After 9/11: Preventing Mass-Destruction Terrorism and Weapons Proliferation
- A collection of papers examining the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the United States, and analyzing U.S. and international responses to 9/11. They also propose measures to avert terrorism and to reduce mass-destruction threats to U.S. and international security.
Posted: July 2001
Missile Proliferation and Defences: Problems and Prospects
- This series of papers on missile proliferation and possible responses continue a collaboration between the Center for Nonproliferation Studies and the Mountbatten Centre for International Studies at the University of Southampton. Occasional Paper #7 focuses on international and unilateral control mechanisms, regional perspectives, and implications for space.
Posted: 5 June 2001
WMD Threats 2001: Critical Choices for the Bush Administration
- Offering pragmatic
guidance for the Bush administration on key nonproliferation
issues regarding U.S. foreign relations, nuclear, biological and chemical terrorism, and
organizing the U.S. government. It outlines measures to help
defend the United States and construct a safer world.
Posted: 27 April 2001
International Perspectives on Missile Proliferation and Defenses
- The first of a new Occasional Paper series devoted to the topic of ballistic missile
proliferation. The focus of this series reflects the concern of both centers that the spread of ballistic
missiles constitutes one of the most serious and complex nonproliferation challenges today.
Posted: October 2000
Proliferation Challenges and Nonproliferation Opportunities for New Administrations
Posted: November 1999
Nonproliferation Regimes At Risk
Posted: November 1999
A History of Ballistic Missile Development in the DPRK
Posted: June 1999
Former Soviet Biological Weapons Facilities in Kazakhstan: Past, Present, and Future