About the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS)
The James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS) at the Monterey Institute
of International Studies seeks to combat the spread of weapons of mass
destruction (WMD) by training the next generation of nonproliferation
specialists and disseminating timely information and analysis. [Overview]
Welcome from CNS Director Dr. William Potter
Press Releases / Events
Posted: June 27, 2013
Middlebury College and Monterey Institute of International Studies Mourn Passing of Philanthropist James Martin
- The James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies mourns the loss of our namesake: James Martin, a Pulitzer-nominated author, systems innovator, and impassioned philanthropist—October 19, 1933—June 24, 2013.
Updated: June 18, 2013
CNS and NTI Launch Global Video Library: 3D models enhance nonproliferation understanding
- 20 videos, released over the year, will feature original 3D models of selected nuclear, chemical, biological, and missile facilities profiled on the NTI website.
Updated: May 15, 2013
In Memorial: Gordon Paul Smith
- The staff and board of CNS at MIIS were deeply saddened to learn of the passing of former board member and benefactor Gordon Paul Smith on April 30, 2013.
Posted: April 16, 2013
Comprehensive Resources for the NPT PrepCom
- Features daily reports from the PrepCom, visuals on nuclear nonproliferation, analysis, articles, and documents. Includes:
Posted: April 12, 2013
Critical Issues Forum (CIF) International High School Conference: Nuclear Disarmament
- High school students from Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Russia to join US students from differing states to discuss nuclear disarmament, April 19-20, 2013.
Posted: April 12, 2013
CNS Participation at the 2013 NPT PrepCom in Geneva
- A number of CNS experts and students will attend the second session of the PrepCom for the 2015 RevCon of the Parties to the NPT as observers.
Posted: April 9, 2013
Former CNS intern Naomi Egel is attending the 3rd RevCon of the CWC
- Follow her live civil society updates and analysis from the Third Review Conference of the Chemical Weapons Convention on twitter @naomiegel and blog.
Posted: April 8, 2013
Presidential Theme Roundtable
IAEA Director General Amano and CNS Director Dr. Potter Address a Presidential Theme Roundtable at ISA Annual Convention
- The International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Convention in San Francisco hosted Presidential Theme Roundtable entitled "The Nonproliferation Regime: Firewall Against Nuclearization?"
Posted: April 1, 2013
March 2013 Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Short Course: Invitation to Apply for Participation
- A one-week intensive course for diplomats and other practitioners focused on nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament policy issues.
Posted: March 20, 2013
Second Virtual Science Challenge for Youth Interactive Online Conference
- CNS's innovative conference offers lessons to US and Russian high school students tackling nuclear spent fuel management from experts world-wide.
Posted: March 15, 2013
State Dept. Awards Website Where Nukes Meet Pop Culture
- CNS Graduate Student Lovely Umayam's BombshellToe.com featured in Global Security Newswire.
Posted: February 22, 2013
Event Report: 5 Myths About Nuclear Weapons
Includes audio recording of the event.
- United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs hosted a book launch for author Ward Wilson, CNS Senior Fellow, with opening remarks by Angela Kane, and guest speakers William T. Eliason, Christine Wing, and Ray Acheson.
Posted: February 19, 2013
VCDNP Panel Discussion
Governance After Fukushima: A Discussion with the US-Japan Nuclear Working Group
- VCDNP will host a panel discussion on the impact of the disaster, Japan's nuclear energy activities, and US-Japan nuclear collaboration.
Posted: February 13, 2013
Guest Speaker | Live Stream
Nonproliferation Challenges of Old and New
- Joseph Cirincione, President, Ploughshares Fund
Posted: February 6, 2013
International Advisory Board Meeting
- Senator Sam Nunn (Ret.) hosted the CNS meeting, Senator Richard Lugar gave a luncheon address to the group, with introductory remarks presented by Dr. Ashton Carter, Deputy Secretary of Defense.
Posted: January 30, 2013
Dialogue on Nuclear Disarmament
- CNS and the Permanent Mission of Indonesia to the UN recently held a brainstorming workshop with over a dozen states.
Posted: January 18, 2013
UN Secretary-General Delivers Major Address at MIIS
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon lauds the role played by the Monterey Institute in promoting Disarmament and Nonproliferation Education.
Updated: January 18, 2013
UN Secretary-General to Deliver Major Address at MIIS, January 18th
- On January 18th, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will deliver a major address titled "Advancing the Disarmament and Nonproliferation Agenda: Seeking Peace in an Over-armed World," and conclude with a Q&A session. The event was live-streamed.
Posted: November 30, 2012
Japanese & American High School Teachers Discuss the Possibility of a World Without Nuclear Weapons
- High school teachers from Japan and the United States discuss nuclear disarmament at the Critical Issues Forum's teachers' training workshop.
Posted: November 30, 2012
A POSSE of Global Young Scholars Re-Think Strategic Stability
- The Project on Strategic Stability Evaluation is building a global network of leading young scholars moving beyond traditional concepts about nuclear weapons.
Updated: November 30, 2012
NPR Breakfast Briefing
Challenges to Creating a Middle East WMD-Free Zone
- A briefing featuring presentations by Nonproliferation Review authors Douglas Shaw and Emily Landau was held on November 29, 2012 in Washington, DC.
Posted: November 29, 2012
Thomas Schelling and Other Prominent Experts Discuss Global Zero
- VCDNP hosted a seminar to explore the feasability of nuclear weapons abolition, featuring Nobel Laureate Thomas Schelling.
Posted: November 12, 2012
The Road to 2015: The 2013 PrepCom
- On October 27, 2012, CNS and the Permanent Mission of Indonesia to the United Nations co-hosted a roundtable discussion.
Updated: October 26, 2012 • Posted: October 23, 2012
Preventing Nuclear Terrorism: Policy and Technology Solutions
- Anne Harrington and Simon G. Limage discussed U.S. policy and programs in the area of nuclear security, and highlighted the innovative work on technologies that the United States is doing in this area.
Special Country Collections
Background Reports on Current Nonproliferation Issues