Stephen I. Schwartz
The Nonproliferation Review and WMD Junction
Stephen I. Schwartz is Editor of the CNS journal, The Nonproliferation Review, and WMD Junction.
Areas of Research
- History and costs of the U.S. nuclear weapons program
- Maintenance and modernization of U.S. nuclear delivery systems, nuclear warheads, and the nuclear weapons production complex
- U.S. nuclear doctrine and strategy
- Nuclear arms control and disarmament initiatives
- Depiction of nuclear weapons and nuclear war in film and on television
Mr. Schwartz has previously served as Publisher and Executive Director of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Guest Scholar and Project Director with the Foreign Policy Studies program at the Brookings Institution, Washington Representative for the Alliance for Nuclear Accountability, Legislative Director for Nuclear Campaigns with Greenpeace USA, and Associate Director of the Council on Nuclear Affairs.
A nationally recognized writer and nuclear weapons policy analyst, Mr. Schwartz has written for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Boston Globe, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, the Journal of Cold War Studies, New Perspectives Quarterly, and the Chicago Tribune, among others.
He has also appeared on "60 Minutes," CNN, National Public Radio's "All Things Considered," and "Talk of the Nation," Public Radio International's "The World" and "To the Point," American Public Media's "Marketplace" and "Marketplace Morning Report," and in several documentaries about nuclear weapons broadcast on the History Channel, National Geographic Channel, Discovery Channel, and the Learning Channel.
- B.A. in Sociology (summa cum laude and college honors) with a minor in Politics, University of California at Santa Cruz
"New START and the Maintenance and Modernization of US Nuclear Weapons," December 22, 2010, CNS Feature Story.
"What Price Deterrence?," The Will and the Wallet (Stimson Center blog), June 8, 2010.
Nuclear Security Spending: Assessing Costs, Examining Priorities (Carnegie Endowment, 2009).
"The Cost of Nuclear Security," Los Angeles Times, January 12, 2009.
- "The Costs of U.S. Nuclear Weapons," October 10, 2008 (NTI issue brief).
"Congressional Oversight of U.S. Nuclear Weapons," October 10, 2008 (NTI issue brief).
"Warheads Aren't Forever," Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, August/September 2005.
- Foreword to The Doomsday Scenario: The Official Doomsday Scenario Written by the United States Government During the Cold War (2002).
- Atomic Audit: The Costs and Consequences of U.S. Nuclear Weapons Since 1940, editor and co-author (Brookings Institution Press, 1998).