Dr. Amy Smithson
Washington, D.C. Office
Dr. Amy Smithson is a Senior Fellow at the Washington, D.C. Office of CNS.
She chairs the Global Affairs Council on Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Weapons for the World Economic Forum.
Areas of Research
- Chemical and biological weapons proliferation and threat reduction mechanisms
Before joining CNS, Ms. Smithson worked at the Center for Strategic and International Studies and the Henry L. Stimson Center, where in January 1993 she founded the latter's Chemical and Biological Weapons Nonproliferation Project to serve as an information clearinghouse, watchdog, and problem-solver regarding chemical and biological weapons issues. Previously, she worked for Pacific-Sierra Research Corporation and the Center for Naval Analyses.
Dr. Smithson has appeared frequently before Congress and in the electronic and print media.
- Ph.D. in political science from George Washington University
- M.A. in international relations from Georgetown University
- B.A. in political science and Russian from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Dr. Smithson has authored, co-authored, edited, and co-edited numerous reports, journal articles, book chapters, books, and opeds. A selected bibliography follows:
- Germ Gambits: The Bioweapons Dilemma, Iraq and Beyond (Stanford Univ. Press, 2011).
- Beijing on Biohazards: Chinese Experts on Bioweapons Nonproliferation Issues, editor (Center for Nonproliferation Studies, 2007).
- Resuscitating of Bioweapons Ban: U.S. Industry Experts Plans for Treaty Monitoring, editor (Center for Strategic and International Studies, 2004).
- Compliance Through Science: U.S. Pharmaceutical Industry Experts on a Strengthened Bioweapons Nonproliferation Regime, editor (Henry L. Stimson Center, 2002).
- House of Cards: The Pivotal Importance of a Technically Sound BWC Monitoring Protocol, editor (Henry L. Stimson Center, 2001).
- Ataxia: The Chemical and Biological Terrorism Threat and the U.S. Response, with Leslie-Anne Levy (Henry L. Stimson Center, 2000).
- Toxic Archipelago: Preventing Proliferation from the Former Soviet Chemical and Biological Weapons Complexes (Henry L. Stimson Center, 1999).
- Chemical Weapons Disarmament in Russia: Problems and Prospects, editor and author therein (Henry L. Stimson Center, 1995).
- Rudderless: The Chemical Weapons Convention at 1 1/2 (Henry L. Stimson Center, 1998).
- The U.S. Chemical Weapons Destruction Program: Views, Analysis, and Recommendations (Henry L. Stimson Center, 1994).
- The U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency: Restructuring for the Post-Cold War Era, with Michael Krepon and James A. Schear (Henry L. Stimson Center, 1992).
- Open Skies, Arms Control, and Cooperative Security, Co-edited with Michael Krepon, author and co-author therein (St. Martin's Press, 1992).